Sunday, May 19, 2013

Fine Tuning the 15's Stance

Hi Guys,

Well some interesting changes have taken place this last week. In keeping with my theme for the car, I was unhappy with the stance of the front wheels due to no camber adjustment. So the rears were sitting quite nicely with -4.5 degrees of neg camber but the fronts were a sorry state of affairs with -0.5


I was still happy with the ride height at the rear of the car but the the front was about 1.5cm too high, also I believe the car would benefit from a traditional RWD rake. Therefore after reading review and user's impressions of the kit and keeping the street-build nature of the car, I went for some BC BR Coilovers, with a 8kg F/ 6kg R spring rate.


The coilovers themselves are a sound kit offering 30 levels of damping adjustment, height-independent adjustability relative to the spring itself, thick dust boots, rubber pillowball construction with integrated camber-tops up front. I was impressed at the degree of height adjustment these units provide, with the ability to go from above stock height to well below legal.


So, I had the kit now I needed the expertise to install and adjust to my specs, I looked no further than Heasman Steering located on Princes hwy, Tempe. These guys have been in the game longer than anyone else and their knowledge, and particularly service and attention to detail (coming from a self-confessed OCD guy) is top-notch.


I consulted with them and specified that I was after stance and not outright handling, the team suggested taking out a degree from the rears to -3.5 and a -3.0 up front, and this setup I can say is flawless in my view. With the combination of rolled guards, this setup does not rub/scrub/bump or otherwise contact the body at all, and considering the ride height on a street car, this is my idea of practical stance.

Interesting to note, the front pillowtops still had a fair bit of adjustment to go, really impressed with this kit for the price so far.


Keeping in mind the springs will take approx 1 week to fully settle, I'm happy with the height and how the body sits over the rims.


Driving impressions s far are very positive, the car is completely transformed, bumps, ripples are soaked up quite well, I have left the damping adjustment on 1 all round and the adjustment feels very much like the Nismo S-Tune spring/shock combo. Comfortable on the street yet able to hit the track occasionally. No clunks, rattles, or otherwise unusual sounds as yet and I will provide regular updates on their performance. To anyone considering a value-oriented coilover kit and hesitating in the face of Tein/D4 etc, I can safely say these will suit street driving without hassle.

Stay tuned for further updates!

- Matt



No comments:

Post a Comment